Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mom's Story Part 10



Dad’s Mission:
            One important part of my brother’s life was tied up with my story, for he was born two months after my father was called on a mission to England.  I can never understand my Mother’s willingness to let Dad accept that call when she was seven months pregnant, but that was the caliber of woman she was.  Dad had had some very successful road contracts, which had netted him a good sum of money so he had the means to keep himself three years in the mission field, but the burden of caring for the family and paying the bills at home rested on Mother’s shoulders.  The home was paid for, and much of the food was raised in the garden, but still there were expenses to be met.  She did this by keeping boarders in our home.  Many of the schoolteachers needed places to stay, as did students from other towns such as Joseph City and Heber.  The Westover boys all had a turn living in the basement of our home while they attended High School.  Their job was to do the chores – milk the cows, haul and cut the wood and keep the wood boxes full, and the fires burning and in return, they received their room and board.  Earl Westover still claims I’m his little sister.  Then there were the girls who lived upstairs who helped Mother set tables, do some of the cooking, wash the dishes and clean up.  Mother fed as many as twelve to fourteen extra people three times a day besides keeping her own little family.  Our family occupied the Sleeping Porch and her bedroom; the rest of the house was filled with Boarders.  It must have been quite an experience for Mother.  She gives a full account of it in her journal. 
            When the three years of my Father’s mission were up, Mother took a wonderful trip to New York City to meet Dad.  I have often tried to imagine that meeting.  Mother said she was standing on the top of a staircase at the Mission Home where she was staying, when Dad came in.  He looked up and saw her, and she said it took about three steps for him to reach her and gather her into his big strong arms.  What a reunion that must have been!  Mother was always the “light of his life”.  He adored her. 
            Scully was born while Dad was gone so he had never seen his little son, also Aunt Margaret had given birth to Waldo, just a month before Scully, so the Aunts dressed the two little boys up alike to have Dad choose which was his son.  It may have been a difficult decision, but Scully saw his mother coming up the walk and the look of recognition gave away the secret. 
            One of my earliest remembrances was in connection with my father’s mission.  I had been playing with a little strand of shell beads, which I dropped in Dad’s pocket during Church just before he left for his mission.  The beads accompanied him through England and often he said he took them out of his pocket and shed tears of lonesomeness over them.  When he returned he gave me back my little beads, I remember how overjoyed I was to get them. 
            I remember the beautiful wide-brimmed black velvet hat and high-heeled high-topped shoes Mother bought in New York.  The hat had feathers on it.  It was beautiful, and was used in plays for years as a costume.   The high-heeled shoes are on display at the Memorial Home.


Dad made many lasting friends while on his mission.  David O. McKay was the Mission President and Ezra Taft Benson was one of his companions.  These two great men kept in touch with Dad all of his lifetime.      
 **editorial note** I found this picture of family members gathered on the day Marion Rogers left for his mission.  I think he has his arm around Mayola and Leonora is standing on the right side of him looking so so sad.  I think Mom (Bess) is being held by a woman on the left side of the photo and Louise is the dark haired child in the front row.  ** if any one can help identify the other people it would be appreciated.**

No comments:

Post a Comment