Saturday, June 9, 2012

Mom's Story Part 11

Joseph W Smith Grandchildren
Childhood Friends and Neighbors:
            The dearest people on earth surrounded us; most of them relatives but those who were not related to us always were addressed as “Aunt” or “Uncle” anyway.  Aunt Emma Freeman, Aunt Mae Larsen, Aunt Sarah T Smith, Aunt Rebecca, Aunt Augusta, Aunt Janet, Aunt Louie, Aunt Em – all Smiths—the list could go on and on all over town.  Aunt Dennie Hulet lived just across the street and her home was the most elegant house in town.  Uncle John R., her husband, was very well to do (an extremely wise business man) and he bought the most beautiful toys for his children.  Their playroom upstairs made my eyes boggle.  It was there I first saw a little play piano, china dolls, doll buggies and beds, tiny cupboards with dishes.  Only seldom did I ever get to go up to that wonderful room.  However, one time I slipped a small plaything into my pocket (I can’t even remember what it was now), but the joy was short-lived when I returned home and Mother saw it.  She had me go right back and return it with apologies.  How embarrassed I was.  It was a good lesson. 
            Two of my good friends were Maria Smith, who lived just across the block from me, and Guida Smith, who lived further up the hill.  Maria and I were bosom friends.  We were together constantly.  We had a little signal system set up in a tree nearby.  When we had urgent business we rang our little bell to summon each other.  It was fine until our brothers got wind of it and disrupted our bell system.  Maria and I loved to make playhouses and we would spend hours cleaning out a cellar, a chicken coop, or corner of the barn or garage to make a playhouse in. 
            It was on Guida’s new bicycle that I learned to ride.  She lived up on the hill so we could coast down hill once we got our balance on the bicycle.  That was the most fun, and Mother could hardly get me home.  I suppose it was pretty hard on the new bicycle for I’m sure we had plenty of spills.  Max Butler, the “dream” of all the girls in our crowd lived just over the back fence from us where Kay Hatch lives.  I was madly in love with him.  I used to try to time my chores of feeding the chickens when I knew he would be out doing his chores.  He was a wonderful violinist, later he became the Concert Master of  the BYU Orchestra, and also became a doctor of medicine.  His sister, Merlene, invited me to a birthday party one time and her mother took us all swimming.  Of course, Max was there and in my efforts to impress him, I tried to show him I knew how to swim.  I really didn’t know how, but I worked so hard that day, that I actually did learn how to swim.  When all the other girls left to attend the party, I stayed in the pool with Max.  The old swimming pool was ice cold located above the railroad tracks where the Little League Ball Park is.  Finally, Mother had to come get me.  I got a good lesson in etiquette that day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment