Saturday, June 23, 2012

Mom's Story Part 12


Sickness: 

            I had the usual run of illnesses.  I had the chicken pox when I was a little over a year old (Nov 1919).  I had whooping cough the next year (Dec 1920).  One disease I remember was the Scarlet Fever.  We were quarantined and cooped up in Mother’s bedroom.  Roscoe and I had the disease at the same time Mayola and Louise were convalescing.  I must have been pretty sick for my temperature went to 106 degrees.  It was during the time Dad was in England; so the boarders had to find lodging elsewhere during this time (Sept. 14, 1923).  A few incidents stand out in my memory.  Roscoe would keep getting out of bed and sneaking to the closet to get some little pink pills. He liked them.  So I was the watchdog and would call Mother.  Mayola and Louise entertained us with putting on plays in the “Sleeping Porch” through the French Doors.  They would have mock weddings marrying the broom and the mop.  We loved it and when the curtains (the blinds) came down on the final act, Roscoe and I applauded heartily.  
  I remember when I was able to leave the bedroom, Mother let us sit on a chair in the hall.  The impression I recall was how clean the floors and the house was.  The fumigation after we were over the disease was also something I remember.  We sat outside in the sunshine while the house was fumigated.  On February 12, 1927 I had the measles.  I remember how bumpy my face felt and how hot I was.  Dad was sleeping with me and I remember him stroking my face and hair.  Mother set up temporary quarters in the Dining Room where it was cozy and warm and dark.  We had a cot in the corner of the room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment