Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mom's Story 1942


Courtship and Marriage:
            The next year 1942 found me again in New Orleans with my sister, Mayola.  Red had a European tour of duty, which lasted three years, and of course, Mayola was very lonely.  I prayed so hard to know what was the right thing for me to do.  Mother visited me several times during this period of my life and she helped me make my decision to go and live with Mayola again, so I took the long train ride back to the South.  This proved to be the greatest blessing of my life for it was there that I met my beloved Willis (Bill, as I called him).  He was stationed in New Orleans teaching Radar for the Air Force. 
Mayola in New Orleans
            I had no trouble at all in securing a job as a Dietitian.  I was accepted immediately at Touro Infirmary, one of the large privately owned Jewish Hospitals in the City.  It was only three or four blocks from Mayola’s home, so I could walk to work.  New Orleans is such a beautiful city with the huge oak trees spanning across the streets and the clinging moss hanging from them.  Magnolia trees were everywhere.  It was truly a paradise.  Mayola and Red lived in the old, established part of the town and the homes were immense with wrought-iron railings around the balconies and porches.  It was beautiful. 
Bess
            New Orleans had many big bases there, both Naval and Air Force, and so the city was swarming with military men.  It was a hunter’s paradise for a young single woman.  Many faithful members of the Church attended our little Branch, and so I had a lovely time and never lacked for dates.  After Church on Sundays Mayola would often bring some of the young people to her home for lemonade and a songfest around the piano.
Social at Mayola's (check out Mom's shoes)
Bill was one who came.  He was standing off to the side, I remember, and we exchanged smiles and a wink.  (He claims I winked at him, but I deny that).  Whoever made that daring gesture is to be thanked eternally for I started dating that quiet, self assured, sergeant and found a treasure under the serene exterior.
One interesting detail is that I was still writing to Knight Kerr, and after finding out Bill had served on a French mission and knew Knight Kerr, I wrote and told Knight about Bill.  Of course, Knight shot back a letter, written in French, to Bill, telling him to take care of his girlfriend.  So Bill did.  Knight was then a high commissioned officer in the Artillery, and made a trip or so to New Orleans to see me before we finally broke off our relationship. 
"Bill" in uniform
            It would be too involved for me to explain all the feeling I had during this period of falling in love and our sweet courtship.  I had the assurance that he was the one I wanted, and the glamour of the Military officers that I was dating held no allure for me.  It was during the Christmas holidays that Bill asked me to marry him, and there was no hesitation on my part.  My prayers had been answered, and I had a sweet assurance he was the one.  His quiet, steadfast manner assured me our life together would be wonderful.  There was no need to meet his family nor he mine … we knew. 
            Bill was being transferred to San Antonio, Texas, Kelley Field, so wedding plans started immediately.  Mayola, realizing she would be left alone again decided to move to Phoenix.  She had a job waiting for her with the State Welfare Department, so that was no problem for her.  So, in February 1944, with gas rationing in full swing, we made the big move to Phoenix, Mayola doing all the driving.  I should mention that I had learned to drive during the year I was in New Orleans, but that is a story in and of itself.  After a few harrowing experiences she didn’t have much confidence in my driving ability.  We spent two or three weeks in Snowflake before going on to Phoenix. 
The day we left Snowflake for Phoenix, a Valentine’s Day, I received my ring.  I was thrilled beyond measure; I held out my left hand to everyone I met to show off the beautiful blue white diamond my Bill had selected for me.  My “oh’s” and “isn’t it beautiful?” left smiles on the faces of everyone who came in contact with me.  “Cloud Nine” was a reality for me during those weeks prior to my marriage. 

1 comment: