Friday, February 22, 2013

Mom's Story Part 18


College Days
1936-1940

When it was time for me to attend college, Mayola had just gotten a job in Douglas, Arizona working for the Arizona Social Welfare Agency.  The folks felt it best for me to go to the University of Arizona so Mayola would keep an eye on me.  However, she didn’t stay long in Douglas and the next year found her in New Orleans getting her Master’s Degree.  For that first awful freshman year, however, it was a comfort to have her nearby.  I was really one lost little country girl; the school was so big, the city girls so smart, and my clothes looked so tacky.  I survived and even though Mayola wanted me to try for a Sorority, and outfitted me in a beautiful outfit, after one or two invitations to their houses, I knew that I could never fit into their life style.  I declined their bids, and I’m grateful I did, for most of the good Mormon girls lived in the Dormitories.  My monthly allowance from home was $35.00; but when I left home Mother entrusted me with the huge amount of $150.00 to pay my tuition, books, and first month rent.  It was a sad, sad day when I told my dear Mother goodbye, I shall never forget.  I couldn’t stand to even look at her, and the tears flowed unashamedly all the way to Tucson. 

            Things started to look up for me after a few weeks.  I was able to make wonderful friends who were Mormon as well as non-Mormon.  But the boys … so many “cuties”, and many of them seemed to like me too.  One engineering student, a senior, spotted me at the cafeteria and asked me for a date.  My, how excited I was.  He took me to many beautiful places, but after the end of the year we parted as friends.  I remained a good Mormon girl and he remained a good Catholic boy.  He taught me so much and seemed to enjoy the freshness of a small town girl.  There were many boyfriends after Felix Berar, only a few held the excitement Felix held for me. 
            One important thing happened to me during my freshman year.  I always felt I could accomplish about anything I set my mind to do.  I had an idea I wanted to become a doctor of medicine, so I registered under a pre-med course.  However, I soon found that course was Cat Anatomy, which was taught by a short, brilliant bachelor professor, Dr. Hammon.  It was considered to be one of the toughest courses on campus and Dr. Hammon was known to be an unrelenting tyrant.  By coincidence, I had also enrolled in the School of Music and was taking voice lessons from Dr. Rollin Pease, a delightful person and former Opera singer.  Dr. Pease took a liking to “little Bessie from Snowflake”, and asked me if I’d like to sing in his Presbyterian Church Choir.  He knew I was a Mormon but had many friends among the Mormons.  He offered me $5.00 every Sunday I sang in his Church.  Of course, I jumped at the chance.  Also in the choir was Dr. Hammon, and we became good friends.  Often he brought me home after the Church service.  One day he very kindly told me he didn’t think I was cut out to be a doctor, and suggested I go into Nursing or Dietetics.  That was where I got the idea of Dietetics I got a “B” in Cat Anatomy, but not without a struggle, I worked terribly hard in that class.
Dr. Lowell Bennion
            Our social life at school revolved around the activities at the Institute of Religion.  Dr. Lowell Bennion was our Institute director for a couple of years and we all loved him dearly, then Dr. Darrell Chase, who later became president of Utah State University in Logan.  The young people who attended the Institute were some of the best Mormons in the Church.  We were a very close group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment