Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dad's Story Part 3

Willis Ericksen Age 3

In the fall of 1916, Dad had an opportunity to go to work for the Continental Oil Company in Salt Lake City, as an order clerk. I’m sure my folks were happy about this move. It was like moving back home, because both Mother’s sister Kate and her brother Frank were living in Salt Lake City. Dad’s sister Eva and her husband Sherm Allred also lived there. In fact, Dad was able to buy a little house right next door to Eva and Sherm which was located on Logan Ave., a little street between 4th and 5th East on 17th South. It was here that I have some of my earliest memories. In Salt Lake the only playmate I remember was my cousin, Elaine Allred who lived next door.

Our house had a basement with an outdoor entrance. The stairway opened on the outside of the house and was covered with a wooden door that had to be pulled up like a trap door in order to gain access to the cellar (as it was called). One day this door was left open, and I tumbled down the stairs into the cellar. More pleasant memories were our frequent visits to Liberty Park, which was not far from where we lived. This park had a wonderful merry-go-round, and a small zoo. I especially remember the seals.

Mt. Pleasant, Utah was only one hundred miles south of Salt Lake City. I remember going there to visit Grandma and Grandpa Ericksen. There the main attractions were the barnyard animals. Uncle Ralph raised pigeons and rabbits in addition to the usual cows pigs, horses etc. I remember also the delicious smells that emanated from Grandma Ericksen’s kitchen. She was an excellent cook. She used to make homemade sausage and headcheese, and was an expert at making Danish dumplings, and many other delicacies.

No comments:

Post a Comment