Sunday, March 25, 2012

Mom's Story Part 6

Mayola

My Brothers and Sisters:
As I have said, I was the third child.  Mayola and Louise were older, and my brother, Roscoe was three years younger than I.  
Mayola

Baby Mayola












Mayola was born October 13, 1912, the year Arizona was made a State.  Even though she was six years my senior, we have been the best of friends throughout our lives.  

I remember a few “scraps” we had as we were growing up, especially when I and my girl friends invaded the upstairs where the cities of rag-dolls which she and Marge Smith had made, were kept.  There were several families of dolls, which they each would “operate” making the dolls they used, the furniture, the clothes, and the cars, everything they needed.  The dollhouses were made from cardboard boxes and decorated with wallpaper, curtains etc.  Mother’s scrap drawer was always cleaned out.  What fun they had, but it was definitely “off limits” for Louise and I.  It would fill a book for me to tell all the beautiful incidents of our childhood growing up in such a fine home with a big sister such as she had always been.  But her life has been filled with beautiful experiences.  It is so natural that she would concentrate her efforts toward helping others.  She was trained in Social Work and received her Masters Degree in that field.  She has truly been a tower of strength to me and my family as well as to all who have had the privilege of coming under her influence.  As I write this, she is finishing up her seventeenth year as General Secretary and Treasurer of Relief Society of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Salt Lake City.  What a contribution her life has been for Relief Society.

She married Edwin John Miltenberger known as “Red” to us, on July 12, 1937 in Salt Lake City.  She had met him while she was getting her Masters Degree at Tulane University in New Orleans.  It was a storybook romance.  After her marriage she made her home in New Orleans for many years.  Many of “Red’s” family are still living in that beautiful old Southern City.   Mayola and Red had no children. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment